Wednesday, October 7, 2015

The Supermoon's Eclipse

Photo by Robert Slack

On Sunday, Sept 26, in Connecticut's northeast corner, the breezy night air carried a slight chill and the sky was sprinkled in starlight. My husband and I stood out on the deck watching the Supermoon come into focus through our lens, his camera, my binoculars. Sleep beckoned us. Our older black Labrador Retriever, usually interested in the night calls of the coyotes, opted for the comforts of the couch indoors. Our four-month-old chocolate Labrador gnawed on the tripod legs, followed by my slippers. As the Harvest moon gradually adorned her red glow, the tired pup curled up on a lounge chair. Part of me wanted to curl up beside her.

I had heard scientific explanations about this astronomical event and was drawn to Dr. Sarah Noble's (a program scientist from NASA) comment in the NY Times, "You're basically seeing all of the sunrises and sunsets across the world, all at once, being reflected off the surface of the moon." 

Meanwhile, astrologers blogged about the moon operating under independent Aries while the sun would be in peaceful Libra. One mentioned lunar nodes. (I had to look nodes up . . . who knew?) Some think this phenomenon creates the potential for a huge shift in everyone's consciousness enabling the heart to open up to the universe.

I am a believer in opening up my heart, however, understanding the workings of the universe is beyond me. Can a Supermoon's eclipse open a gateway to creativity? A bridge for me to write my first blog entry? I can picture some family members rolling their eyes. And I don't blame them. I don't know what it all means. But that night standing on the deck, glancing up past the swaying treetops towards the magnificent Supermoon aglow in red, the moon not only captured our attention, it connected us all to the universe.


2 comments: